March 20, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 20th March

badge

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organise yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile! So welcome in everyone. This meme started with J Kaye's Blog   and then was taken up by Sheila from Book Journey. Sheila then passed it on to Kathryn at the Book Date. And here we are!

Jen Vincent, Teach Mentor Texts, and Kellee of Unleashing Readers decided to give It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children’s literature – picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit – join them!
a divide
Well the week passed quickly again. Some reading, some quilting, some thinking I'll clean the windows and then when I have accomplished that I can go order new curtains. Clean the windows first!  I also did a throw out for some of the books from my TBR shelf that I know I just won't read as my tastes have changed. So into a box to later go to a book fair for October.  And that made space to pick up books I will read off the floor and place them on to a shelf.

I also attended an opening for a new school, or my old school relocating to new buildings and premises. They had lovely weather for it and all went off well. I loved meeting up with past students who were now looking all very grown up and had returned for the opening by kind auspices of their high school.

I went to my nephew's wedding on Saturday which took place beside a local river mouth and as the weather again was very accommodating that went off really well too.

On Sunday we chopped down about two thirds of my lemon tree that had become overgrown, a spiky thing it is too. However I did insist we go walk on the beach  as it was such a lovely day, and many others had the same idea, making the best of the last of the summer weather. 
       

What I read last week:

Review book - an okay read, not her best I thought.
book cover


Review book for April. Suffice to say here I liked it very much. 
book cover

Just finished today from my recently bought shelf a Cathy Lamb book. I love her books but this one was real dark. What can be darker than child sexual abuse. I hated reading it, I loved reading it. I am distraught and you can see from what I picked up next to read I really needed something light and fun. 
book cover

What I am reading at present:

Where else to go but Jill Shalvis....

book cover



Listening:
Still listening to Etched in Bone. Gone off the boil with audio listening, got distracted by podcasts, but must get back to the book!

Up next:

I have great expectations for this review book as I loved her last year's book.
book cover

After that I'll pick something from my TBR, not quite sure what yet.

Posts from last week.

A Letter From Italy Pamela Hart
Sweet Lake  Christine Nolfi


a divide

29 comments:

  1. Jill Shalvis is the perfect book to pick up when you need a lighter read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the feeling of clearing out shelves and finding places for new books.

    The wedding sounds lovely...not long until I'm at the beach wedding!

    I can't wait to read The Night the Lights Went Out...and I have added the Cathy Lamb book to my list.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a busy but nice week. Jill Shalvis is perfect for lighthearted reading. I like to read a light book after something more heavy hitting too.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had an eventful week! Congrats to your nephew on his wedding. I also cleaned out my bookshelves. I have 4 bags full to give away. I too have a hard time reading books about sexual abuse or child abuse. Enjoy your reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy to see this weekly meme is still going strong. We have a spiky lemon tree too. Funny how they get that way.

    I'm joining up in the fun again and I'm hoping you'll stop by to my new domain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appears you had a very busy week and I am glad you enjoyed it all.
    Jill Shalvis is reliably light and fun so a good choice after a dark read.
    The cover on Her Mother's Secret is eye catching to me.
    I hope this is another good week for you. Happy Reading and quilting (and cleaning)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A busy and memorable week Kathryn! I'm glad both the wedding and the opening for the new school went well.

    I have high hopes too for the new Natasha Lester book. I so loved A Kiss from Mr Fitzgerald.
    I haven't read Cathy Lamb before - it's hard when a book/author engenders a love/hate relationship while reading! I can see why you turned to a lighter read too. I often do this after reading a thriller or a non fiction book. Glad they gave you comfort.
    I just bought myself a copy of A Letter From Italy this morning so I will have a read of your timely review!
    Have a lovely week,
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A walk on the beach sounds nice :D I and bf went for a bikeride in the sun on Sat, it was lovely. It felt like spring

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what fun that you were able to visit with some of your previous students and exciting about the new building; that sounds great! I'm also super jealous of your beach time; I hope you enjoyed it. I'm glad to hear that the Karen White novel was a good one for you; I love that cover! Thanks so much and I hope you have a great week, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can be a book hoarder, so we do a clean-out giveaway every year. Shalvis is one of my go-tos. I love her book, and find the new series delightful. I hope you like it too. Have a great week!
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list Kathryn. I have got to get my hands on Karen White's latest. I usually review her for RT but they threw me over for another reviewer for this one :(. I have been wanting to read Cathy Lamb too. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do review YA and children books, and even more so in April in preparation for Children's Book Week in May so I'll join them Jen and Kellee. Thanks for sharing the news! Isn't it interesting how our tastes change? I had to give up my first blog last year because I had made it all about fantasy/sci-fi and I read so much of that that I developed an allergy. That's why I'm reviewing books now from my family blog :)
    I'm glad you had such a nice weekend. Nothing like Weddings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for decluttering your bookshelves! I'm not that brave yet. I still have the (unrealistic) expectation that I will read everything that I own! I am making piles of books to donate/sell of the ones that I've read to make room for the ones that I haven't.

    Glad to hear you had a good week! We are under the weather here. My younger daughter & I have had the flu all weekend. Her fever has broken, but not mine yet. So, staying home from work today. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Karen White book looks so good. I read that Jill Shalvis and enjoyed it. She's always good.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you picked a good one to follow such a dark book. I love Shalvis' books - so much fun. Have a great week - hope your nice weather holds through autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wedding and a walk on the beach sounds like a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did some window cleaning this weekend too. It was great because we got out in the garden and then this morning it's all grey again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, sounds like a wonderful week there! Glad you are getting out to enjoy that lovely weather there. Today is the first day of spring here, but we still have snow on the ground! ugh. The outdoor wedding along a river sounds wonderful, too!

    Enjoy your books this week & hopefully more of that nice weather -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, you certainly have been busy this past week. Lots of fun events and things you've been doing. Books that contain abuse content I tend to avoid. I don't read Debbie Macomber anymore; she's too tame for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I need my music when I'm exercising. I can be a bit of a hood rat and need my hip hop. Usually old school freestyle gets me going for cardio or 90's dance music. I've been trying out SoundCloud as a friend was on it. His mixes are really old school B-boy. I made some recent playlists so I'll be set the next time I pound the pavement.

      Delete
  20. Oo a lemon tree!! I have been wanting to get one, although I think mine will have to be indoor only due to my climate. Still, a lemon tree!

    I want to read Karen White book, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a great week for you.

    LOVE Karen White's books...I hope I get my copy soon.

    CONGRATS to the newlyweds.

    ENJOY the rest of this week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad to hear you liked The Night the Lights Went Out. I think it's my favorite of Karen White's books. Of course, I feel that way about almost all of her's. lol I'm glad all your plans went off without a hitch. Enjoy your week, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I desperately need to go through my physical TBR as I'm sure there are tons of books that I really don't want to read anymore but the task is so intimidating! I really want to read the Karen White. That cover just grabs me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a busy week! Mine was pretty mellow, all things considered. I'm trying to go through some TBR books with the Take Control challenge this month, but I need to put a lot more work in if I'm going to meet my goal. :P
    Speaking of, better get back to reading...

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a lot of interesting books you got there! I need to read more of Jill Shavis' books!

    Here’s my It's Monday! What Are You Reading? !

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. New curtains. That's exciting, but washing windows isn't. Your week sounded lovely with lots of reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cleaning windows :( but new curtains are a nice motivator! Nice job getting some books cleared out. I need to do that, badly!

    Have a great week. Happy reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karen White's book looks awesome. Yay for the Shalvis! She's so fun. I'm reading a snow white retelling set in the Scottish highlands. Noms!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...